Five things, according to my iTunes library, that “You’re” doing/being:
1. “You’re Not Sorry (CSI Remix),” Taylor Swift. True brain-dead moment: I just clicked on the original version of her song to try to ascertain the difference between it and this remix, and I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t hear the music, even as the time meter clicked away. “Why am I hearing a Toni Braxton song instead?” I wondered … and then I realized it was because my headphones were plugged into the iPod that sits right next to me, and not my computer, which was silently wending its way through 30 seconds of Taylor. (BTW, the answer is “more moody synthesizers.”)
2. “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight,” The Cars. My childhood was immersed in music thanks to my sister Tina, whose boyfriends came over to play records in the basement. No, really: They played records in the basement, either because my sister didn’t know something else was supposed to be going on, or they were unnerved by the presence of a 6-years-younger sibling grooving to the music nearby. I once told her that “Kodachrome” always makes me think of one of her boyfriends, Kevin, and she said, “How do you remember things like that? You were like 7 years old.” She also had the first album by The Cars, which included this song and I had committed to memory early on. She later got a gig at her high school radio station, from which she brought home the 12-inch single of Donna Summer’s “I Feel Love” (which I, in turn, stole from her, and is still one of my favorite songs of all time). Between that and singing with me along to ABBA songs (she always affected their Swedish accents), I think it’s pretty obvious: My sister Tina turned me gay.
3. “You’re So Damn Hot,” OK Go. Maybe it’s because they became so popular with their treadmill video for “Here It Goes Again,” but I never really noticed what a dedicated sense of style these guys have. (Click on the thumbnails above to see each photo larger.) I’m not sure if I would love taking a peek inside their wardrobe or whether it would make me go blind, but I’m ready to take a chance. (This song made my holiday disc, dedicated to the ex-boyfriend, the year we split up.)
4. “You’re Makin’ Me High,” Toni Braxton. This would be the Toni Braxton song referred to above. She seems to come out with one good song every two years or so, right?
5. “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch,” Thurl Ravenscroft. I just realized I have three recordings of this song; because each appears on a different album, they don’t show up in the “show duplicates” option. “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” is one of the only holiday programs I try to catch each year.
Honorable mentions: “You’re All I Need to Get By,” Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell; “You’re Driving, I’m Bored,” Billie Rae Martin; “You’re Only Lonely,” J.D. Souther; “You’re Sixteen (You’re Beautiful and You’re Mine),” Ringo Starr.
|WHAT SAM WORE: 12-18-09|
|The sweater: Cashmere V-neck from Martin + Osa.|
|The shirt: Cotton button-down by Ben Sherman, from Last Chance.|
|The pants: Same as yesterday.|
|The shoes: Sneakers by Skechers, from Last Chance.