OK, we know about my happy playlist, and my angry playlist. Rather than rehash, I decided to add a new song. I downloaded a few tracks from Beth Ditto’s solo-release EP last week and quickly decided that “I Wrote the Book” would be my new favorite song. It has the hallmarks of songs I love: It sounds perky, with a 4/4 beat, but the lyrics are about bad relationships. (The first chorus: “Revenge, regret / I wrote the book / Forgive, forget / I wrote the book / Keeping secrets / I wrote the book on it / Don’t test me.”)
I think it’s bound to enter the pantheon alongside other favorite tracks like:
- “Like a Motorway” by Saint Etienne (Opening lyrics: “She wears her jeans torn at the waistband / her pretty face is stained with tears / I know this means that he has gone.”) I prefer the original version (iTunes snippet here), but this remix is still good too.
- “Shark in the Water” by V.V. Brown (Middle eight: “Right is right / rules are rules / this is more like April Fool’s / I’m just winding you up.”)
- “Surprise (Goodbye)” by Sugababes (End of middle eight: “It’s you that’s crying tears and I like the way that feels.”)
- “Out of Control (Song 4 Mutya)” by Groove Armada with Mutya Buena (“It’s a surefire way to ruin my day / Just as soon as I’m on top on my life / there you are again.”)
- “Trust Me” (iTunes link) by Voice of the Beehive (Middle eight: “She says, ‘I will love you forever, baby you are my home!’ / But five years from now he’s alone with some kids and a car / His only warmth is from the heater / He wonders how he believed her.”)
- “I Will Be Your Girlfriend” by Dubstar (Chorus: “I will be your namesake / I will be your headache / I will be your wit’s end / I will be your girlfriend”)
I just might have to make a new playlist! Suggestions are welcome.
|WHAT SAM WORE: 3-17-11|
|The shirt: “Muscle fit” (yes!) cotton button-up by Abercrombie & Fitch,
from the outlet store at Pentagon Mills, Va.
|The pants: White jeans by 7 for All Mankind, from Last Chance.|
|The belt: Leather belt by Bill Adler Design, from Estilo in Austin, Texas.|
|The shoes: Leather trainers by Diesel, from Last Chance.|