Another cocktail from the Shaker & Spoon Kanpai! box had me wracking my brain to identify a mysterious flavor that seemed both uncommon and familiar. I ended up donning my reading glasses to examine the ingredient list of the provided subtropic syrup and recognized it by name right away: sesame oil.
The good news: This cocktail incorporates much less sesame oil than the Darkened Summer Moon, where it so plagued me. Here, it’s more of a nuance than a flavor — it’s literally the last ingredient on the label of the provided Subtropic Syrup.*
Miles From the Mainland
- 1½ ounces Japanese whisky
- 1 ounce Subtropic Syrup
- ½ ounce lemon juice
- 1 dash Peychaud’s bitters
* The syrup includes pear, pineapple and passion fruit juices, guava, papaya, mango and peach purees, unsweeted coconut milk, citric acid and toasted sesame oil.
- Add whiskey, syrup and lemon juice to a shaker with ice, and shake until well chilled, 15–30 seconds.
- Double-strain into a chilled coupe.
- Add Peychaud’s bitters to the top of the drink, creating a red circle that floats on its surface.